This asana helps in alleviating various gastric problems, including indigestion and constipation. Since your knees exert pressure on your tummy, holding the position for more than a minute helps in triggering the burning of fat in the region.
The Wind-relieving Pose Instruction:
- Lie flat on the back in the shava-asana.
- Inhale and bend the right knee and pull it close to the torso with both hands while interlocking the fingers just below the knee. Keep the left leg flat on the floor.
- Hold the inhaled breath for a few seconds then exhale slowly through the nostrils and lift the back, shoulders and head off the floor and touch the knee with the forehead.
- Hold the exhaled breath for a few seconds then slowly inhale and return the back, shoulders and head to the floor. Remain holding the knee.
- Hold the inhaled breath for a few seconds then exhale while bringing the right leg to the floor.
- Lie flat on the back in the shava-asana for a few seconds then repeat beginning with the left leg.
- Strengthens the back and abdominal muscles
- Helps in digestion and release of gas
- Tones the muscles in the legs and arms